Land Court Associates
The role of a Land Court Associate
The role of a Land Court Associate is unique and involves a close working relationship between the Member and the Associate.
The Associate is a personal and confidential aide to the Member, in and out of court, in connection with all of the Member’s concerns.
An Associate must understand, and have the personality and skill to deal with, the demands and restrictions that are particular to judicial life.
Some of the main duties of an Associate include:
- conducting legal research
- liaising with court staff, the legal profession, government departments, the press and the public
- ensuring the effective and efficient conduct of the Member’s court, including custody of court files and recording orders
- traveling with the Member on circuit and other court business.
A position as an Associate is a rare opportunity to gain insight into the court processes behind the scenes.
It is an invaluable experience in the development of a career in the legal profession.
Associates are generally appointed for one year. You are encouraged to apply if you will have completed a law degree or are well advanced in studies towards such a degree by the time you would be due to commence as an Associate.
Applying for the position of Land Court Associate
Applications for the position of Associate within the Land Court of Queensland for 2025 are now open.
Applications will close at 5:00pm on the second Friday in May 2024. To be considered for this role, please provide the following information:
- A completed Land Court Associates Application Form
- A completed Land Court Associates Questionnaire
- Covering letter – a concise personal statement describing why you consider yourself suitable for the position;
- Curriculum Vitae – including academic and other achievements, employment history, extracurricular activities, the names of two referees; and
- Academic Transcript.
Applications can only be received by email or post to:
Land Court of Queensland
GPO Box 5266
Brisbane QLD 4000
By email: EA.LandCourtPresident@courts.qld.gov.au
Please note, that if submitted via email, the application must be bundled as one PDF document.