Legal advice

If you decide to represent yourself in court, we strongly recommend that you still get legal advice and discuss your case with a qualified lawyer.

Below are some options for seeking legal advice.

LawRight Self Representation Service

LawRight helps people who can’t afford private legal assistance and aren’t eligible for legal aid.

They provide free independent legal advice during appointments with volunteer lawyers to help people represent themselves in the best way.

This service may help you if you’re representing yourself in a civil case in the District Court, Supreme Court or Court of Appeal.

Note: If you wish to seek the services of LawRight, contact them as early as possible, as there may be a wait of up to two weeks for an appointment depending on circumstances.

What they do

Volunteers provide:

  • advice about whether, and how, to commence proceedings
  • advice about court and tribunal processes
  • assistance to draft documents, such as applications, statements of claim, defences, affidavits and submissions
  • assistance to draft court and tribunal forms
  • assistance with preparing for trial and appearing in court
  • advice about appealing court and tribunal decisions
  • referral for pro bono mediation
  • advice about other options for resolving disputes.

What they don’t do

The service and solicitors do not:

  • take responsibility if a limitation period expires before you can access help from the service
  • conduct your legal problem or court proceeding
  • represent you at hearings or trials
  • act as your solicitor on the court record
  • sign any documents on your behalf
  • communicate with the court, other parties or legal representatives on your behalf
  • pay any fees, disbursements or costs orders that you incur.

Contact LawRight for information about applying for an appointment.

Legal Aid Queensland

Legal Aid Queensland provides legal advice over the phone and on their website, and other services to help you in court.

Community legal centres

Your local community legal centre may provide legal advice and assistance.

See the list of the community legal centres in Queensland.