If someone says you’ve used domestic violence

Quick exit to

Ask questions, know your next step, you’re not alonereach out for help

Domestic and family violence is not okay.

  • If you need urgent help, call the police on 000.
  • If you need housing in a women’s refuge, call 1800 811 811.
  • Find other support services.

If you’re given an application for a protection order by a police officer, read the paperwork carefully. It will tell you:

  • Why you are going to court (the allegations made against you);
  • The date and time you must go to court; and
  • Which court to go to.

It’s important you go to court, and you have the support and information you need to understand the process. Ask lots of questions to understand what the process will be and what your options are.

If you don’t go to court, a domestic violence order can be made without you getting to have your say.

Remember – you need to know and follow the rules on a domestic violence order, even if it is a temporary order.

It’s against the law to not obey these rules, so it’s important you understand them and follow them. If you don’t follow them, you could be charged with a criminal offence.

If your children are named on the order, you may not be able to see them, or there may be special conditions about when and where you can see them. Getting legal advice will help you to understand the rules of an order.

Reach out for help

Domestic and family violence is not okay.

Domestic violence orders

Domestic violence orders can help to protect your safety and help stop the violence.

Going to court

It is important you have the support you need when you go to court.


We have produced a range of resources to help you have the information you need. Reach out