Helpful links and information


    The courts and police stations are running a little differently right now because of the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are not sure what it means for you and your bail, contact the court or the police that you’ve been dealing with, or get legal advice. You must continue to follow all the conditions of your bail unless they have been changed.

    Would you like help understanding your options?

    Bail is complicated and can be difficult to understand. You should think about talking to a lawyer about your situation, even if you don’t want a lawyer to represent you in court. There is help out there, and you may even be able to get help for free or at a reduced cost. Click the link here for more information about where you can get advice or visit the Legal Aid Queensland website to find out if you can get help for free. There is information about legal services for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander peoples here.

    Are you (or is someone you know) struggling with drug or alcohol issues and would like some support?

    These issues can make it harder to comply with your bail but there is help out there - the Alcohol and Drug Information Service offers free counselling and support for you and for your family and friends. You may have to go to the Queensland Alcohol and Drug Court.

    Are you experiencing domestic or family violence?

    There are support services that can help you. If you are on bail and one of your conditions is to live at a certain address, but that address is unsafe, get legal advice as soon as you can and ask to have your bail conditions changed.

    Would you like some support to help manage your mental wellbeing?

    If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, there are services that can help. If you have been told by a doctor that you have a mental illness and you’ve been charged with a crime, you might have a mental health defence. You should get legal advice about this. See more information here.

    Are you homeless or are worried you might become homeless?

    You may be able to get help from Court Link. You can also call the Homeless Hotline to find out where you can get help. If you are on bail and one of your conditions is to live at a certain address, get legal advice as soon as you can to make sure you don’t break this rule.