Employment claims

If your employer owes you money, you may be able to make a claim for the money (i.e. an employment claim) in the Magistrates Court.

The process is set out in the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cwlth), Chapter 4, Part 1.

To make a claim, an employee must file Form 2A - Employment claim - Magistrates Court (DOC, 37.0 KB).

To defend a claim, an employer must file Form 6A - Notice of intention to defend an employment claim - Magistrates Court (DOC, 31.0 KB).

Other forms used in the court proceeding are civil proceeding forms.

You’ll find comprehensive information about the process on the Fair Work Ombudsman website.

If you have questions about whether you can make an employment claim, contact a lawyer or your union for advice.