Money disputes

If you have a financial dispute with another person or organisation, we recommend first trying to resolve the issue privately or through alternative dispute resolution methods.

If you have tried these methods and haven’t resolved your dispute, see the following sections on applying to the courts for a judgment and, where needed, enforcement of the judgment.

Where your matter will be heard depends on the amount in dispute.

Money disputes under $150,000

For disputes of value up to $150,000 started in the Magistrates Court

Money disputes between $150,000 and $750,000

For disputes of value between $150,000 and $750,000 in the District Court

Money disputes over $750,000

For disputes of value over $750,000 in the Supreme Court