Requesting judicial reviews

If you’re unhappy with an administrative decision made by a state government agency or local government authority, you may be able to apply to the Supreme Court for a judicial review.

The court’s review covers the decision as well as the decision-making process.

You can seek a review of any questions of law involved in the decision and for the reform of procedures used if contrary to common law.

Specifically, you can seek a review of a decision:

  • of an administrative nature proposed, required or made under an Act
  • by an officer or employee of a Queensland Government agency or local government authority.

If an administrative decision adversely affects (or will adversely affect) your interests, you can:

  • request a statement of reasons explaining the decision
  • apply to the Supreme Court for a review of the decision if you’re not satisfied with the statement of reasons.

Usually, you would request for a statement of reasons first and then apply to the Supreme Court for a statutory order of review if you’re not satisfied.

To seek a review, apply to the Supreme Court with an originating application: