Skip links and keyboard navigation

Judicial reviews

Supreme and District Courts

If you are unhappy with an administrative decision made by a state government agency or local government authority, you may be able to apply to the Supreme Court for a judicial review.

You can seek a review of any questions of law involved in making the decision and for the reform of procedures used if contrary to common law.

You can do this by applying to the Supreme Court with an originating application [Forms, 54, 55 and 56 (UCPR)].

You are able to seek a review of decisions:

  • of an administrative nature proposed, required or made under an Act
  • by an officer or employee of a Queensland Government agency or local government authority.

If your interests are adversely affected (or will be adversely affected) by an administrative decision, you have the right to:

  • request a statement of reasons explaining a decision
  • apply to the Supreme Court for a review of a decision if you are not satisfied with the statement of reasons for that decision.

Usually, a request for a statement of reasons is made first and then if you are not satisfied, you can apply to the Supreme Court for a statutory order of review.

The court’s review covers not only the decision or lack of a decision but also the decision-making process.

The following legislation may assist you


Fee for filing a notice of appeal in the Supreme Court - see scale of fees (UCPR).

October 2015
  • Court holidays
Last reviewed
22 June 2011
Last updated
21 August 2012

Rate this page

  1. How useful was the information on this page?

Close window

Send this page to a friend