Appealing your land valuation

If you don’t agree with your land valuation, you have the right to object to the Valuer-General. If you disagree with the objection decision, you can then lodge an appeal with the Land Court.

How land valuations are used

Under the Land Valuation Act 2010, the Valuer-General makes land valuations in Queensland. The Valuer-General is the independent head of the State Valuation Service, Department of Natural Resources and Mines.

The Valuer-General’s land valuations are used to calculate local government rates, rents for state leasehold land and state land tax.

Objecting to a land valuation

Send your objection to the Valuer-General within 60 days after the issue date on the valuation notice. If the valuation is:

  • $5 million or less, the Valuer-General may invite you to attend an objection conference
  • more than $5 million, the Valuer-General must offer you an objection conference.

An objection conference encourages people to settle disputes about objections and promotes an open exchange of information. An independent chairperson facilitates and helps conduct negotiations between the parties.

The Valuer-General ultimately decides the objection and issues an objection decision notice. If you don’t agree with the notice, you may lodge an appeal with the Land Court.

Who can appeal

You can appeal the objection notice if you’re a Queensland landholder (or landholder’s solicitor or authorised agent) and you’ve previously:

  • lodged an objection with the Valuer-General
  • received a decision on that objection that you disagree with.

Appeal period

Lodge your appeal with the Land Court within 60 days of the date of issue of the objection decision notice.

If you file the appeal after the appeal period, the Land Court can hear the appeal only if:

  • the appeal was filed one year or less after the objection decision notice was issued
  • the court believes you had a reasonable excuse for not filing the notice in the appeal period.

See previous Land Court decisions to see what the court accepts as a reasonable excuse.

How to appeal

Start your appeal by completing Form 3 – Notice of appeal against the Valuer-General’s decision on objection (DOCX, 122.3 KB). Form 3 can also be completed online.

Complete Form 3 online

The valuation appeal notice must state:

  • the grounds of appeal
  • your estimated valuation amount
  • the amount you’re claiming if you’re claiming a site improvement deduction (if applicable).

The appeal hearing is limited to your grounds of appeal as stated in your notice of appeal. You can’t change or add to your grounds of appeal later.

Print and sign the form, and lodge it with the Land Court either:

  • in person at Level 8, Brisbane Magistrates Court building, 363 George Street, Brisbane
  • by post to The Registrar, Land Court of Queensland, GPO Box 5266, Brisbane Qld 4001.

There are no fees for lodging your appeal.

Serve a copy of your notice of appeal on the Valuer-General within seven days after its filing.

What happens next

If your land valuation is $5 million or less, the Land Court invites you to attend a preliminary conference—an informal meeting between the parties to:

  • discuss the disputed valuation
  • identify the key issues
  • seek an outcome that’s acceptable to all parties without a court hearing.

At the conference, you can meet with a representative from the Valuer-General’s office to discuss how your property valuation was determined.

Conferences are usually chaired by the Land Court’s judicial registrar, though a member of the court may preside in some cases.

If the parties agree on a resolution, the judicial registrar or member can make final orders ending the matter there. If parties can’t agree, the appeal is scheduled for a formal court hearing.

The Land Court tries to schedule a preliminary conference within six months of receiving your notice of appeal. However, as conferences are usually held in the district where the land is located, it might take longer in some remote centres.

If your land valuation is $5 million or more, your appeal is listed for a directions hearing before the Land Court president and set down for hearing as soon as possible.

Contact us if you have any queries.